Monday, October 26, 2009

Journal Jar Question #6

Tell how, when and where you learned how to drive and any memorable experiences as a young driver. 

Well long before I was old enough to drive, my Pop would let me sit on his lap while he was driving and let me steer. Then there were 2 occasions when I was in the car waiting on my mom to get in and I tried to drive. The first time I must have been about 6 or 7, and my mom and I were going to the grocery store. We were in the car and it was running and my mom had to go back into the house for something she had forgotten. I climbed into the driver's seat and I put the car in reverse and when it backed out of the driveway into the street it almost hit a guy on a bicycle. The second time I was probably 11 or 12 and we were leaving for church on a Sunday morning. Again I put the car in reverse and it backed out into the road, but this time nobody was around.

When I was 14 I guess, we lived in Pooler and my dad taught me to drive. I drove around the block and I did really good until he asked me to stop in front of the mailbox so he could get the mail. The mailbox was on his side of the car and I misjudged how close it was to it and I hit it, taking off the sideview mirror on my mom's car. I also remember that we had a really long driveway and my parents would let me take the trash to the curb in the car. What they didn't know was that I would drive around the block every time, so I really taught myself how to drive for the most part.

I also taught myself how to drive in traffic. I borrowed my mom's car one day and my friend Jessica and I wanted to go to the mall, but neither one of us had ever driven in Savannah before, and we were not supposed to be going there. But we did and with her help I made a left turn and then moved two lanes over and turned into the mall. We made it just fine on our own!

1 comment:

  1. Oh the things we learn when your children get older. I remember the first one, it was when we lived on the southside behind the hospital. Don't remember the second one though. I definetly remember the mailbox incident, but you failed to mention the dumpster one when we were living in the apartments.

    ReplyDelete